Now Hiring: Part-Time Birth Centre Aide
Are you flexible and calm under pressure? Do you have strong administrative skills? Are you adept at speaking in French and English? Are you great at managing competing priorities? Are you comfortable providing support to midwives and clients, including cleaning rooms after births? If so, this is the job for you!
The Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre is Hiring!
Part-Time Birth Centre Aide (One-Year Contract, with possibility of renewal)
(Part-time: generally two 12-hour shifts per week, plus 1 scheduled on-call shift; including overnights (7pm-7am) and weekends)
The Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre is a midwife-led birth and wellness centre located in southeast Ottawa that offers a broad range of maternal and infant services to Ottawa clients, newborns, and their families. These services include prenatal care, labour and delivery, breastfeeding support and educational programs.
We are searching for a new Birth Centre Aideto join our team. Birth Centre Aides (BCA) are the face of our organization: from preparing and cleaning birth rooms, to offering non-clinical support to midwives and clients, to giving tours to potential clients, to managing client records, and much more, BCAs are the cornerstone of the Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre.
This position will involve shift work, specifically 12-hour shifts, either daytime (7am-7pm) or overnight (7pm-7am), weekdays and weekends.
Compensation: $17/hr for probation period (3 months); after probation: $19/hr (3 months-1 year); $21/hr (1 year-2 years); $22/hr (2 years+) after probation; stipend for on-call work; comprehensive benefits and retirement savings plan available after probation period.
- MUST be able to communicate in French; working language is English, but the Centre is bilingual and all front-line staff must be able to converse comfortably with French clients and midwives. Applicants’ cover letters should include reference to level of fluency in French. Some interview questions will be in French.
- Completion of high school or equivalent program of studies.
- Basic understanding of health care delivery services. Knowledge and experience in birth services or other health care services an asset.
- Certification in CPR and first aid (can be completed after hiring if necessary).
- Strong administrative skills, including computer literacy (Word, Excel, database programs), filing, and other record-keeping.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the OBWC’S model of midwifery care.
- Must be able to work in, and be sensitive to, a multicultural environment.
- Caring, cheerful and flexible in working styles and client needs.
- Comfortable working alone, including overnight.
- Reliable. Good timekeeper. Ability to work under pressure and to use own initiative.
- Discretion and sound judgment.
- A reliable means of transportation to the Birth Centre within 45 minutes, at all hours.
- Good general health.
- Current Police Record Check (can be obtained after hiring).
Reports to: Manager of Operations
For a detailed job description please see the following pages.
Please send, by email only:
-a cover letter that includes reference to your level of French fluency (applications with no cover letter will not be considered)
Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre
2260 Walkley Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 6A8
Deadline for Applications: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11:59pm
Interviews will be held the week of December 16, with an anticipated start date of early January 2020.
The Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre is committed to employment equity.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
For a full job description, please download the pdf job posting document.
- Job Posting BCA PT Dec 2019 Size: 256.7K